How Long After You Get a Green Card Can You Apply for Citizenship?

We get this question a lot!

This is a common question that immigration
lawyers in Orange County hear from permanent residents – how long until you can
apply for U.S. citizenship? While there is a general timeline set out by law,
like so many other immigration matters, there are also many exceptions to the
general rule. Read on for information about waiting times, and contact an
immigration lawyer in Orange County at Brudner Law to discuss your specific

The General Standard is Five Years

For most permanent residents, you must live in
the U.S. with a green card for at least five years before you qualify for
possible citizenship. If you were a conditional resident, the two years of
conditional status count toward your five years, as long as you successfully
obtained permanent residency after the two years ended.

Note that you can submit your citizenship
application during the 90 days prior to your five-year anniversary with a green
card. This is to allow for processing time with USCIS, so you can get your
interview and the process underway as soon as possible after five years have

Possible Exceptions

There are cases in which a different time
period may apply for green card holders to qualify for citizenship, including:

  • If you are married to a U.S.
    citizen, you can apply three years from the marriage date (provided you had
    conditional residency or a green card)
  • Battered spouses can also use the
    three-year rule even if they ended their marriage to the U.S. citizen due to
  • Years lived as a refugee prior to
    receiving a green card may count toward the five year-requirement
  • One year lived as an asylee may
    count towards the five-year requirement
  • If your spouse is a U.S. citizen
    that must work overseas, you may have a shorter time period as long as you meet
    certain criteria

It is important to note that some factors may
extend the amount of waiting time, which an experienced Orange County
immigration attorney can determine.

Contact an Immigration Lawyer in Orange County for More Information:

Brudner Law represents green card holders
before and during their applications for U.S. citizenship. Call 714.794.9366 or contact
us online
to discuss your specific case.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *