How to Petition for Parents to Come to the United States

Many United States citizens have parents who live in foreign countries, and they want to unite the family in the U.S. There is a specific immigration process to petition the government to allow your parents to join you here, though it is not always an easy one. You should discuss your specific situation with an immigration lawyer in Orange County before you begin the process.

First, in order to file a petition for your parents, you must be at least 21 years old. You must accurately complete the proper forms and provide the following documents:

  • Proof of your citizenship or naturalization
  • Your U.S. Passport
  • Your birth certificate showing your mother’s name to petition for your mother
  • Your birth certificate showing both parents’ names and a marriage certificate of your parents to petition for your father

There are many other scenarios that will require different documents, including:

  • You want to petition for a step-parent or adoptive parent
  • You want to petition for a father when your parents were not married (whether or not your father legitimized your relationship by your 18th birthday)
  • Your parent’s name has changed from the name on your birth certificate

Aside from the paperwork, there can be other requirements, including financial sponsorship of your parents, showing they are eligible to enter the United States, and more. Once your parents receive a visa to enter the U.S., you can apply for a change of status to permanent resident. 

Consult with an Experienced Immigration Lawyer in Orange County Today

Our Orange County immigration attorney believes in helping families stay together and can provide important assistance during this process. Please do not hesitate to call Brudner Law for assistance with any family or business immigration-related matter. Call 714.794.9366 or contact us online today.