I Just Received My Citizenship, What About My Minor Children?

One of the requirements to apply for U.S. citizenship is that you must be at least 18 years old. This means that adults may qualify for naturalization, but their minor children will not. What happens to your minor child’s immigration status if you obtain citizenship? You should discuss your specific circumstances with an immigration lawyer in Orange County right away.

Derivative Citizenship for Your Children

The Child Citizenship Act of 2000 allows children under 18 to obtain citizenship under certain circumstances. The following requirements must be met:

  • The child is a lawful permanent resident with a green card
  • One parent (at least) is a U.S. citizen by naturalization or birth
  • The child lives in the U.S. in the physical and legal custody of the citizen parent

In this situation, a child will automatically receive citizenship with no need for formal applications. If you receive citizenship while living with your child in the U.S., your child should also receive citizenship.

Certificate of Citizenship

The government will not issue any formal documents regarding your child’s citizenship status upon your naturalization. Instead, your child must prove that they have a claim to citizenship and follow the right process to obtain proof of their nationality, called the Certificate of Citizenship. This includes filling out and filing Form N-600, along with the necessary filing fees and all relevant evidence of their claim to citizenship. You should not hesitate to discuss this process with an Orange County immigration attorney who can ensure all necessary steps are taken for your child to receive their Certificate of Citizenship.

Discuss Your Options with an Immigration Lawyer in Orange County Today

At Brudner Law, we regularly handle a wide range of family immigration cases, including naturalization and Certificates of Citizenship for minor children. Call 714.794.9366 or contact us online for more information.

One Reply on “I Just Received My Citizenship, What About My Minor Children?”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *