Are you curious about working in the U.S.? Check out this article to learn more about the different work permits you can get.

For some, working in the U.S. is a dream come true. It represents the culmination of their hard work and an endless door for opportunities in their field.

But, to legally work in the United States, you must have advance permission to work. It must be under the terms and conditions of your visa and/or status or by obtaining a work permit. 

If you try working without authorization, it could lead to severe consequences. So to avoid that, we’re going to break down the different types of work permits that you can get to work in the U.S. legally.

What is a work authorization or work permit?

A work permit is officially known as an Employment Authorization Document or EAD for short. The EAD looks like a Driver’s license, and it also serves as a photo I.D. 

It is issued by the U.S Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Once you obtain an EAD, you can present it as evidence that you are authorized to be employed in the United States for a specific time period.

Eligibility Requirements to Apply for a Work Permit

The following are some of the categories of foreign nationals that are eligible to apply for an Employment Authorization Document:

Who Does NOT Need an EAD?

Depending on your situation, you may not need an EAD to work in the U.S. Here are some of the exempt individuals:

  1. U.S Citizens (For more info, see our post on that
  2. Green card holders (lawful permanent or conditional residents)
  3. Foreign nationals who have obtained work-based visas- 

Choose Brudner Law for Your Immigration Needs

As you can see, there are various ways that you can obtain U.S. work authorization. Immigration processes can be daunting, but you don’t have to do it alone.

Brudner Law represents clients with all their immigration needs, and we work to make the process go as smoothly as possible. If you would like to discuss your options, call 714.794.9366 or contact us online to meet with an Orange County immigration lawyer!


to speak with an Immigration Attorney

Or complete our consultation form and we will contact you as soon as possible